Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Penetration of HP/UX

From: michael getachew <michaelhoustong () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:49:52 -0700 (PDT)

you are right, I was thinking of tru64 unix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru64_Unix) . I have a copy of hp ux
somewhere and I remember  being unable to run it  in a vm because the vm software i was using didn't support that
architecture. I checked and it turns out there is something called HPPAQEMU that does it now (don't know if it's legal
to run hp-ux in a vm or  not though).

Thanks for the clarification.

Michael.
HP-UX runs on PA-RISC and IA-64, Solaris on SPARC, IA-32
and x86-64
processors. HP-UX is pure big-endian, while Solaris is only
big-endian
on SPARC.

Cheers,
Roland

Exploits don't work for HP/UX as they do
for
"normal" Linuxes/Unixes. This is because HP/UX (as
far as I
know) mainly works on SPARC CPU's, thus having Big
Endian
instructions which is different from standard x86
- or am I
wrong?

forgive me if I'm wrong but is't hp ux suppose to run
on alpha architecture or something like that? i thought
sparc was mainly for solaris/opensolaris.

also,I get how the shellcodes and all that has to be
different but i still fail to understand how a buffer
overflow would work on one architecture and fail on
another.i am always baffled when i hear a  certain
vuln/exploit is only on x86 or x86_64. I'm sure there is an
explanation to this i just don't know it yet so please
enlighten me on the this subject.

Cheers :)