Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Penetration of HP/UX

From: Roland Kessler <rokessler () gmx net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 09:34:04 +0200

Hi there,

HP-UX runs on PA-RISC and IA-64, Solaris on SPARC, IA-32 and x86-64
processors. HP-UX is pure big-endian, while Solaris is only big-endian
on SPARC.

Cheers,
Roland

Am 19.06.11 06:59, schrieb michael getachew:

Exploits don't work for HP/UX as they do for
"normal" Linuxes/Unixes. This is because HP/UX (as far as I
know) mainly works on SPARC CPU's, thus having Big Endian
instructions which is different from standard x86 - or am I
wrong?

forgive me if I'm wrong but is't hp ux suppose to run on alpha architecture or something like that? i thought sparc
was mainly for solaris/opensolaris.

also,I get how the shellcodes and all that has to be different but i still fail to understand how a buffer overflow
would work on one architecture and fail on another.i am always baffled when i hear a  certain vuln/exploit is only on
x86 or x86_64. I'm sure there is an explanation to this i just don't know it yet so please enlighten me on the this
subject.

Cheers :)

Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. IACRB CPT
and CEPT certs require a full practical examination in order to become certified.

http://www.iacertification.org