Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Penetration of HP/UX

From: Philipp Lachberger <ph_lachi () yahoo de>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 21:26:31 +0200

Hi all,

first off - sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies. I just thought I'd answer
in summary, thus summing up the threads.

The vulnerable system is HP/UX 11.0 (can't say anything about the
architecture though).

To all of those who pointed me to Exploit-DB and other Exploitation
Sites or Frameworks - Thanks!
I have looked most of them up before and haven't found anything (yet)
with a ported return address for HP/UX. The Sendmail version seems to be
vulnerable, so my next step concerning system exploitation would be
porting one of the Sendmail Exploits to HP/UX.

To all who found my deadly mistake of saying SPARC architecture instead
of PA-RISC - Thank you very much (at least I got the Endianess right ;-) )

Everyone who pointed me to Hydra or some other password guessing tool -
Thank you, I did that in parallel and have found a valid
username/password combination.
For all who don't know which word-lists to use and haven't had the money
to buy one, there's a site I can link you to (containing loads of free
password-files):
http://www.skullsecurity.org/wiki/index.php/Passwords

@Marco: Thank you very much for the hint to phrack - didn't know there
was an issue on HP/UX exploits. But I'll definitely look into it right away

@Javatard: Thank you also for the hint on production systems - haven't
encountered any issues up to now, but I'll watch the system closely

Best Regards,
-Philipp