Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Professional Scrpt Kiddies vs Real Talent

From: "Porttikivi, Anssi" <anssi.porttikivi () kpmg fi>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:52:51 +0200

My two cents: any industry that is changing and evolving rapidly will
have more demand than offer for new skills. The professional master who
understands _everything_ certainly will be too expensive to deploy for
most customers, and there will be demand for less talented and less
experienced, cheaper people. In a dynamic industry there will also
necessarily be (many kinds of) risk appetite in customers, so they are
willing to hire services w/o guarantees of the quality. So there will be
successful mediocre services with high price.

But it does not come to "easy to use tools are bad, hard to use tools
are good". And the elitist attitude is often sheer stupidity. Like the
guy who complained to me that I was using OWASP WebGoat and a proxy to
teach Web hacking, mocking that as "an automated tool for fools" (the
guy obviously did not even know what WebGoat is).

And I am tired of technical vs. non-technical security contradiction. My
motto, that you are free to quote:

"Security is just like any other modern warfare. You need top notch guns
and technology, but guns without proper strategic insights and
leadership are waste of money, or worse, dangerous."