Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Firewall rulebase checking tool

From: "K K Mookhey" <kkmookhey () niiconsulting com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 15:10:19 +0530

Besides the tools mentioned, including the one we make (Firesec), the
general approach is two-pronged as I see it:
1. To clean up the configuration from a hygiene/manageability point of view
2. To validate it from a security point of view

Besides the obvious (check for rules that allow access to too many ports,
dangerous/sensitive ports such as 22/21/23/3389/1433/1521, rules that allow
access from/to wide ranges of IP addresses, or from/to critical systems,
etc.), some of the more interesting stuff we've found when checking firewall
configurations is:
1. Redundant rules
Often once a request has passed through all the change management steps, it
comes to the firewall administrator, who upon seeing all the t's are crossed
and i's are dotted, simply goes and implements the rule on to the firewall
configuration. Rarely if ever does he check if the rule might already be in
existence or he may have created a super set of an existing rule, thus
making the earlier one redundant

2. Shadow rules
These rules are often implemented to handle some emergency or critical worm
infection. They are found to be completely in contradiction to an already
existing rule. The end-result depends on the sequence of the 2 rules. Some
firewalls (Netscreen mostly) warn you if you're creating a rule in
contradiction to an existing rule.

3. Unused rules
As networks are dynamic, systems come and go. But firewall rules tend to
remain forever. As a result, if you were to validate the firewall rules
against the logs from the same firewall, you would typically find about
50-60% rules in use. The rest would not even be getting any hits. This is
easiest to validate on a Cisco firewall (show access list). On the other
firewalls if logging has been turned on for the policies, you can easily
extract the raw log files and see which policy IDs are being hit (Firesec
comes with a Perl script to do this).

4. Unused objects
These tend to bloat up the firewall configuration as well. And most
firewalls have logical limits on the number of objects you can create. But
as rules keep getting added removed, the number of unused objects keeps on
growing.

5. PCI DSS compliance
The first control domain of PCI DSS deals almost exclusively with firewall
configuration. The validation should address this also if the scenario
requires PCI DSS compliance.

Okay, that's about what comes to mind...:)

Cheers,

K. K. Mookhey
Principal Consultant
Network Intelligence