Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Firewall rulebase checking tool

From: anthony.cicalla () gmail com
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 09:43:56 +0000

To validate a rule base would be to audit and verify that what is documented as the configuration / rule set
implemented on a firewall or router is in fact acting as it should and properly filtering or dropping the packets as
they should rather than someone making a mistake in their implementation of a command and it going overlooked because
nobody went and verified that a particular rule is fact in effect and properly working as expected and intended. That
is what and why you would validate a rule set.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile