Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Mapping a network

From: "Chris Brenton" <cbrenton () chrisbrenton org>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:11:42 -0400 (EDT)

Greets,

a) From the Internet , I think its tough to map an internal network at
all.

As it should be. ;-)

Couple of possibles:

occasionally. If you can see traffic leaving the perimeter, this will
reveal internal private address info. Watch TTLs and you can usually
produce a pretty accurate map.

Loose source routing does not work with Cisco or Checkpoint, but it does
with many other vendors. Initial entry needs to be via a permitted port
(like TCP/53 on a DMZ NS and then head to internal address space). Set the
IP timestamp option if you need the replies to follow the same path back.

--- Nmap's ARP scan/Ping scan/known port scan

Don't forget Zenmap. Does a great job of organizing info. I'm a Cheops
convert myself.

Also, stick with ARP scans as much as possible. This permits you to even
tag systems running a personal firewall. Obviously you need to be on the
same layer 2 for this to work.

What else?

Broadcast data is extremely helpful. Let's you collect CDP info as well as
ID local servers.

HTH,
Chris
--