Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: DOS attack tool can be used in lab

From: "L. Pop" <zhiglee () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 19:38:01 +0800

Thanks for your help!

Now i am clear that how we get attacked:
firtly they established tcp connection with us, then they just ignore
our "FIN" package,
server have to resend packet for 12 times, then send RST packet to give up.
The interval of retry gradually increases:
   [1st] 1s plus/minus 0.5s
   [2nd] 3s plus/minus 0.5s
   [3rd] 6s plus/minus 0.5s
   [7th] 64s plus/minus 0.5s
   [8th] 64s plus/minus 0.5s
   [12th] 64s plus/minus 0.5s

However, i am not confident to change those paramters, after all those
setting applys to all the tcp session. My OS is FreeBsd 6.4

Still need your help on how to prevent such attack.

Kind Regards,
Pop