Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: The goal of pentest by PCI DSS?

From: Jerome Athias <jerome.athias () free fr>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 09:59:59 +0200

Le dimanche 04 octobre 2009 à 22:41 +0400, Taras a écrit :

Does this mean that the main aim of pentester by PCI DSS is cardholder
data?  Or simply aim is to gain access (exploit vulnerabilities) to as
much systems in CDE as possible? I asked about this because we can gain
access to for example Oracle DB and do not try to search PANs in it.
Or we can gain access to some users workstation and do not try to search
cardholder data in file system.

(Should be a good question to ask to (my friend? :p) A. Gironda)
For me, (after assuming that "Security is a process, not a product.",
Bruce Schneier), security should be transversal
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transversal_line ).

One more question. Do you use social engineering in pentests by PCI DSS?

A secretary allways love chocolate ;p
If it's a man, well... you should have some nice pictures in your
pocket ;)

Thanks for answers!

[0]
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/download.html?id=pci_dss_v1-2.pdf