Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Using a Virtualized Pen Test Platform

From: "Claudio Criscione" <blackfireml () securenetwork it>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 17:28:35 +0200

Hi Jon,

In data martedì 20 ottobre 2009 18:07:18, Jon Kibler ha scritto:
 not yet detected. For example, does VMware break any of the packet
 crafters or other tools that do 'unusual' things, that may cause the
 packet to not traverse correctly from VMware to the outside target?

Dave already gave you a nice answer, but I'd like to stress that there *are*
differences once you get very close to the hardware.
If you do a lot of ARP-related stuff, for instance, you are going to run into
issues due to the way VMware drivers do filtering at that level. While you can
solve by proper permissions on the virtual network device and by allowing
promisc, I still run into issues. Anyway if you do mostly IP level attacks and
upward you should be fine enough.

Also, is there any advantage or disadvantage of running Workstation vs.
 Server vs. ESXi as the underlying VMware system?

Well, they are very different systems, with very different purposes. Without
going into details, I find much more *practical* to use Workstation for pt.

--
Claudio Criscione