Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Using a Virtualized Pen Test Platform

From: Joshua Gimer <jgimer () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:06:06 -0600

Jon

I also use virtualization for a pen-testing platform and have for some
time. The only issue that I would be aware of is your network
interface configuration. You have the ability to setup your virtual
interfaces in either a bridged or shared mode a lot of the time, the
later of which performs Network Address Translation (NAT). If you were
performing tests where you were either sending or sampling a large
amount of traffic, there is a possibility that you could fill up your
NAT tables which will have adverse consequences in terms of valid test
results.

--
Thx
Joshua Gimer