Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Using a Virtualized Pen Test Platform

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:27:55 +0100

Hi Jon,

I just saw this so sorry that I'm a little late to respond.

You're right to worry if things are breaking that you don't see. It happens. Low level packet crafting gets messed up and we have even noticed lost packets when receiving. We chalked this up to multiple layers of abstraction which occurs between the human interaction and the packet send or receive. This is why Windows systems also make bad test machines for low level tests. But for application-level tests, we find it much more capable. I have yet to find more than just memory capacity errors from a virtual session for application tests. This info comes from hundreds of hours of testing multi-level tests for the OPST (OSSTMM Professional Security Tester) certification exam. It was such a problem that we had to discontinue the use of virtual sessions for OPST exams already back in 2004.

Before this post becomes flame bait, I want to say that virtualization, especially with hardware support, has come a long way since we stopped using it. However, recently we concluded a 3.5 year EU project where we worked fairly exclusively with XEN and L4 on linux systems and found that even with proper hardware support, it had packet problems.

My advice is to get a 2nd, small, cheap system and keep linux on it for testing. This way you won't be wasting your time with inefficiencies.

Sincerely,
-pete.

Pete Herzog, Managing Director, ISECOM
www.isecom.org

Jon Kibler wrote:

All,

I have traditionally used a multi-boot Linux box as my pen-test platform. It has
always had the disadvantage that I had to reboot into Windows to run some tools
that seem to break under wine.

For the past several months, I have been tinkering with using VMware Workstation
as my base platform, so I can just switch VMs rather than having to reboot. So
far, it seems to work pretty well. However, I am wondering if I am missing
something that is broken by VMware that I have not yet detected. For example,
does VMware break any of the packet crafters or other tools that do 'unusual'
things, that may cause the packet to not traverse correctly from VMware to the
outside target?

What other issues do I need to be aware of?

Also, is there any advantage or disadvantage of running Workstation vs. Server
vs. ESXi as the underlying VMware system?

What would be the advantages or disadvantages of running XEN? Does it have any
issues as a pen test platform hypervisor?

THANKS!

Jon Kibler
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-813-2924
s: 843-564-4224