Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: To go to University - For the CISSP etc. - Good idea/Bad idea???

From: "Craig S. Wright" <craig.wright () Information-Defense com>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 07:58:55 +1000

A degree (if you actually apply yourself and use the experience to learn)
will provide you with a foundation that you do not obtain through real world
experience.

Although technology moves on, many of the underlying foundations do not. I
still use old techniques on a daily basis. Knowing the algorithms in a sort
function is actually still extremely useful in analysing packers for malware
reversing. This is not something that you pickup in a normal daily function.
You can learn it on your own, but the added structure often helps people
focus.

I for instance am both a quasi-academic (insert shameless plug for IT
Masters degree, digital forensics
http://www.itmasters.edu.au/WhichQualification/MasterofInformationSystemsSec
urity/DigitalForensics.aspx) as well as working in the "real world". I still
do degrees. I have lost count as to where I am up to, but I am completing
another doctorate, a PhD on the quantification of IS risk.

You can work and study. It is easier to at least complete one degree on
campus, but there are options afterwards that many people take. Even in
networking, a good understanding of the fundamentals can help. Knowing OSPF
in routing is one thing, but understanding how the Dystraka's algorithm
actually functions is a benefit to say the least.

There are many point and click IT people out there. These people can make a
good career which can take them into management etc. Here a degree still
helps (though one with a business/commerce focus is best). If you want to
really get into the depths of computing, work in a lab, design etc, then a
degree is definitely not going to hurt.

As for how fast the IT world changes, don't really believe it.

The foundations of systems and design are 80% the same today as they where a
decade ago. The interfaces and tools have changed, but the principles have
not. I come across the same software errors in code now, the same mistakes,
the same poor coding as I did 2 decades ago. It may be faster, bigger and
more colourful, but we are still making the same errors.

Regards,
Dr. Craig S Wright GSE-Malware, GSE-Compliance, LLM, & ...
Information Defense Pty Ltd