Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Tool to remotely search for filetypes

From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:37:20 -0700

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 00:01, <sthito () gmail com> wrote:
Hi List,

 Greetings to all! I am searching for a tool that can remotely login to a
network computer(I have admin privileges to the remote system) and remotely
list/inventorize all the filetypes in the system. I am also looking for a
GUI based option that will generate a report according to a specific type of
file/s (something like a text box where you enter the filetype, e.g. *.txt
and it will draw up a report filetypes in all the drives including hidden
and system files). I can use the C$, D$, ADMIN$ share (or use NET USE), but
it is becoming cumbersome. Also, it would be great if the tool could connect
to multiple systems at once. I am assuming that all the $ shares are
enabled.

Hoping to find a quick response :)

Cheers,
Sthito.

Given your description, you're 1) examing Windows systems 2) assuming
that files aren't lying about what they are by file extension and 3)
not concerned about Alternate Data Streams . If that's the case, then
a suitable iteration of 'dir /s' should do what you want - including

'dir /s /a:h
'dir /s /a:s'

or even

'dir /s /a:-dhs'

The '/b' option might or might not be useful.

Piping the output to a local text file, massaging them with grep
(http://gnuwin32.sf.net for the Win32 version) and other tools will
probably get you where you need to go.

Kurt