Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Economic situation impact on independent consultants

From: "Adriel T. Desautels" <ad_lists () netragard com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:26:21 -0400

I can't say that I agree with you. Perhaps you need to diversify your service offerings?

On Apr 10, 2009, at 7:56 PM, Victor DaViking wrote:

Hi list,

I'm writing this time with a personal question. Being an independent consultant myself, I've noticed a major drop in terms of assessment opportunities for what's 2009 so far. I'd dare to credit that change to the "world financial crisis", ergo I've been wondering how everyone else is living/experiencing these current times.

Personally, when talking about opportunities, I go for source code reviews and penetration testing exercises. I try to avoid projects related to IT, forensics, standards (PCI, SOX, ..); so I wouldn't know if there's been any change on those fields.

Companies get hit, so they cut costs. They lay off people, and get rid of their security budget? Maybe partially and keep just assessment related to security Standards? or not even that? I guess this means the "black market" grows, meaning that.. given the right contacts, assessment availability is a matter of ethics?

Do you find your deals through intermediary consulting firms or do you deal with clients directly? That should also help.

Or just maybe it's tough luck and I need to refresh some contacts. If that's the case, and you tend to have projects, contact me, I'm interested! ;)

Thanks for your time.
-AV

Add your security company/project/blog to the penetration testing project!
http://www.penetrationtests.com/

Learn all of the latest penetration testing techniques in InfoSec Institute's Ethical Hacking class. Totally hands-on course with evening Capture The Flag (CTF) exercises, Certified Ethical Hacker and Certified Penetration Tester exams, taught by an expert with years of real pen testing experience.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

        Adriel T. Desautels
        ad_lists () netragard com