Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Economic situation impact on independent consultants

From: Parity <pty.err () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 03:18:11 -0700

I work directly with clients as well as via subcontracting
arrangements.  My observations:

The main business drivers in this market of ours are (a) compliance
mandates and (b) loss avoidance.  Well, compliance is still mandatory,
and loss avoidance has, if anything, become more important to
enterprise customers in the current economic environment.

In spite of the fact that the primary business drivers remain in full
effect, the overall volume of new applications and ventures subject to
risk management and compliance regimes has gone down as a result of
decreased IT investment.  Yeah, enterprises still need to assess the
important stuff, but there's not as much important stuff coming online
for the time being.

The other thing I've observed is that the market for security labor is
loosening up.  Consultancies are able to take on junior staff at a
discount due to the lack of jobs available elsewhere in IT.

If you depend mostly on subcontracting to stay busy, get ready for a
long winter.  Healthy firms are going to add full-time staff while
labor is cheap, and they will /not/ leave salaried staff on the bench
to hire an expensive contractor, no matter how uniquely qualified you
might be.

pty