Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability vs. Pen test

From: "James W. Beers" <james.beers () backbonesecurity com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:37:27 -0400

James,

You will need more than just a collection of tools to successfully
perform a penetration test.  You will also need a methodology.  A good
place to start is Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual or
OSSTMM.  The PCI Council has also released Information Supplement for
11.3 which better details what merchants can expect from a penetration
test.

Remember..."If internal resources are being used to perform the
penetration tests, those resources must be experienced penetration
testers.  The individuals performing the penetration testing should be
organizationally separate from the management of the environment being
tested. For example, the firewall administrator should not perform the
firewall-penetration testing."

Hope this helps,
Jim