Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability vs. Pen test

From: bartlettNSF <bartlettNSF () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 00:14:30 -0400

James Lay wrote:
So part of PCI DSS requirements are for a quarterly vulnerability
assessment, and a yearly pentest.  My question is:  is Nessus considered
just a vulnerability scanning app?  Thanks.

James

Thanks for all the feedback on this.  Guess my next question then is what
type of apps does one use to pen test windows boxes and routers and
switches?  I've seen a lot of sql pen test and web pen test stuff here, but
not much for the Windows and router/switches.  Thanks again all.

James

Tired of using other people's tools? Why not learn how to write your own exploits? InfoSec Institute's Advanced Ethical Hacking class teaches you how to write stack and heap buffer overflow exploits for Windows and Linux. Gain your Certified Expert Penetration Tester (CEPT) cert as well.
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/advanced_ethical_hacking_training.html

I personally use Backtrack3 for a lot of my testing. Backtrack4 is not currently in it's finished stage. I'm waiting for that to happen. I've currently started using Davix after seeing it here on the list. Although Davix is more of an analysis (graphing) tool, it does have uses outside the norm. I'm still playing with it though.

On a side note. I'm attempting to export the snort .sh install from the Backtrack disk. I'm not as much as a Linux/OpenSource guru as I wish to be. So I'm having trouble with it. Once I have completed this task I will send a fresh and detailed document describing the procedure. I can, of course, install it as I would normally do with any IDS. I just want a faster way to recoup any lost abilities if one of my sensors goes down.