Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Need Some Guidance Please

From: Stephen Mullins <steve.mullins.work () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:11:27 -0400

If you're in the D.C. area then the only thing standing in your way is
a security clearance.

The elitist/snobbish attitude is pretty prevalent around here,
especially among IT workers.  If you have the right attitude and find
the right hiring manager (one that values college education more than
experience, and won't look down on you because you didn't graduate
from MIT or Johns Hopkins) then you should be good to go.

Try to get a security clearance though, even if it requires you to
work in a non-Security related IT role (like Help Desk, Jr. Sys Admin
etc.) for a year.  As far as getting in the door with security, I
don't think Pen-Testing is really a starting point as it requires a
great deal of legitimate, hard-core technical skill.  I'd suggest
Information Assurance or perhaps shift work in a SOC/NOSC environment
as an analyst.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Elizabeth Tolson