Penetration Testing mailing list archives

WRAP-UP - RE: OOO FLAME

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:06:13 -0700

Tim & list members,

There were quite a few responses to this OOO message & bounces thread. When
I took over moderation from Al Huger in 2005, I tried to keep the list
running in the spirit in which it was created & managed, albeit with my own
flavor. Aside from an astounding amount of spam I've received in the 3 years
moderating, my major annoyance has been dead addresses & OOO messages. Not
because they bother me per se (my filter-fu has become sensational) but
because it's a disincentive for regular contributors to the list as they get
deluged with bounce & OOO's for each post they submit.

While I do have contacts within the SecurityFocus organization who can
handle backend unsubscribes & cleanup of dead addresses, I'm not going to
open them to a flood of complaints & spam... that's my job :) As I tend to
moderate and not post often, I am not always aware of when the # of dead
addresses gets out of hand. Please contact me directly with details of such
addresses and I will forward them on to be addressed in the short term. I
will also initiate discussion with the other SF list mods to see if a more
streamlined approach can be made to tackle this problem for all the lists
moving forward.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with your complaints, list issues, or
thoughts. Without your feedback I won't know what is working well or if
topics/discussions/things in general are not working for members.

Thanks,

--
Erin Carroll
amoeba () amoebazone com