Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Cracking FTP password so that I can convince people not to use FTP, and to instead use SFTP? How do I crack the pwd?

From: "Gustavo Castro" <gcastrop () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:09:21 -0200

Chip:

  Crack a FTP server may not be the best way to prove that.
  What I did some time ago was setup a small scenario with three
machines (a "server", a client and my notebook) and start sniffing
traffic int my notebook between the server and the client. Then, I
told people to try different services and just tell them which
user/password they have used. Almost one hour of setup (creating
accounts for a bunch of people to check into SMTP/POP3, FTP, HTTP and
TELNET services), and two hours of presentation, but worth indeed.
  Most people don't understand how internet works, so they are unaware
of the security implicatios of this protocols, but this presentation
was a success, mostly because everyone leaved the room with the
helpless sensation of insecurity that was the objective of the whole
thing. When you simply say "Oh, this happens every single day,
everywhere, but nobody knows about it...", you can see them opening
their eyes in panic....
  Try something like that with your friend (in a smaller scale of
course, or invite a few more friends to justify your efforts and
maximize your fun), and he will surely follow your directions into
whatever you want.