Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pentest Letter of Achievement/Certificate

From: Mark Teicher <mht3 () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:33:54 -0400

The dubious part of certification of a network is a "snapshot" in time. At the particular instance in time that a network or application can be certified. As in an annual car inspection as indicated in the latter part of the post. This goes for certain organization attempting to "tag" their offering as secure during a staging area prior to arriving and being installed within an enterprise network. Once IT/Security admins alter a security policy or a security rule that could possibly compromise the "security tagging" or "security certification" all bets are off. So if we were to return to the car inspection example, a car could pass inspection, receive it's car inspection pass sticker, but the inspection pass sticker could be compromised as soon as the car pulls away from the inspecting garage, if a rock jumps up from the road and breaks the headlight. Now, the car inspection "pass" is compromised.