Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pentest Letter of Achievement/Certificate

From: Michael Sierchio <kudzu () tenebras com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:27:08 -0700

Tom Van de Wiele wrote:
I find the concept of giving someone a certificate for resisting a
penetration test very dangerous.  Nothing can guarantee that after the
test (especially a blind penetration test) all vulnerabilities have
been found and identified.

It's all a matter of what the certificate attests to and how it
is interpreted.

I see nothing wrong with a statement affirming compliance with
consensus best practice, or acceptable resistance to the known,
relevant vulnerabilities on a certain date, etc.

This is by no means a guarantee of "safety" or "security,"  but
it might be a useful tool in establishing a disciplined approach
to risk.

Dubious analogy:  my mechanic signs an inspection certificate that
says that the tire pressure, chain tension, steering, brakes, etc.
are in good condition on my motorcycle -- he's not promising that
I won't crash.