Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Email Pen-testing

From: "AJ Butcher, Information Systems and Computing" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:01:09 +0000

--On 23 March 2004 04:50 -0800 James Taylor <james_n_taylor () yahoo com> wrote:

To drift slightly off topic... For me a vulnerability scan has much more
value to most companies than a pen test.  That is , of course, if you
apply the principle that a vuln scan should be performed at each
perimeter layer, against all hosts, then assess the risk by taking each
vulnerability discovered in the context of the network as a whole.

Too often one hears of a pen test, where as soon as the 'testers' find a
vulnerability, they focus on that one vulnerability and, more likely than
not, are able to break in to that system.  End of pen test.  What about
the rest of the network?

The approach I've taken in the past is to treat vulnerability assessments as a breadth-first search for vulnerabilities, and penetration testing as a time-limited depth-first attempt to "capture a/the flag". As far as allowable techniques go, that's down to the customer - if I'm capable of using the technique and the customer has explicitly allowed it, it's fair game, whether it's dumpster diving, or dressing up in a boiler suit and carrying two cups of tea. ;-)

IMHO, regular vulnerability assessment is usually the most useful approach as it can identify the critical vulnerabilities that require fixing. Viewed in such a light, penetration testing is probably only useful for proving a political point (e.g. that someone is or isn't doing their job competently, or that their budget is adequate or insufficient).

Regards
James Taylor
CISSP

Best Regards,
Alex.
--

You're a pen tester, but is google.com still your R&D team?
Now you can get trustworthy commercial-grade exploits and the latest