Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Email Pen-testing

From: "Chuck Herrin" <me () chuckherrin com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:30:07 -0500

I have to agree.  In my experience, it is rare that a company
actually wants a "pen-test" in the sense of the term that Ron and I
both use.

More often, they want a portscan, a nice report, and a pat on the
back.  Pen-testing is expensive, inefficient (in that you only have
to find one hole), and often does not provide an accurate picture of
"how to secure" a network.  IMNotSoHumbleO, the cycle in a perfect
world would be:
Vulnerability Assessment (the ISS and Nessus runs with pie charts and
detailed reports), remediation (either the in-house admins or 3rd
party people fix the holes), and then a pen-test to see if the fixes
actually hardened the network.

Unfortunately, very few companies can or will devote this kind of
time and $$ to their security.  They feel that their due diligence is
satisfied by paying someone to run Nessus against their firewall and
tell them everything's OK.  As for real tests involving social
engineering, dumpster diving, etc. many companies I've met with
consider it a waste of effort.  Actual quote: "We know you can get in
if you try to trick our people.  What we want is a real test of what
a hacker or a script kiddie would do."  <sigh> Smile politely, grit
teeth. </sigh>.

Until companies realize that their people can be their biggest asset
or biggest liability in securing their network, attackers will always
have the Social Engineering Trump Card.

By the way, I can tell you from experience - Social Engineering and
Password Cracking are 2 VERY SPECIFIC things that MUST be laid out in
your proposal or scoping documentation from the start.  These 2
things will land you in a lot of trouble if explicit permission is
not given before doing either one.  A friend of mine almost went to
jail for assuming they'd be OK with it.  After the report was
submitted, it turns out they weren't.  Oops!

Just my 2 cents,

Chuck

Www.chuckherrin.com