Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: By passing surf control

From: Dave Powell <davep+ () pitt edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:25:26 -0500

Hi! I recall reading an old 2600 article where they showed how to convert a regular IP address to some other formats, as most browsers will accept a number of different address encodings.

for 2 or 3 ways to do this check out
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/sf/pentest/2001-04/0191.html

http://honor.trusecure.com/pipermail/firewall-wizards/2001-March/010504.html
says that the 2600 issue is Vol 17, #3, Fall 2000 (www.2600.com), p43 (I don't have it here in front of me to check :)

BTW: List, do you think an iptables filter on the proxy/webfilter set to deny all traffic from offending sites would work?
hope this helps!

DaveP

Kudakwashe Chafa-Govha wrote:

Hello Group,

Does anyone have any information on how to by pass a web content filter? We
use Surf Control to monitor and filter web content. However, I have one of
my users who was able to by pass this. We tried using a proxy to by pass
just for testing purposes but it did not work. I am still trying to figure
out what other method he used to do so. If anyone has any information , it
will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kuda