Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] admin rights on an IIS 5.0 with unicode bug?

From: robmann () INAME COM
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 04:16:56 -0500

This looks like the F and V-struct's stored in the SAM hive of the registry.  The one that will be of interest to you
is the V-struct (contains a obstificated LM hash).

To get to a l0pth'able hash you need to DES decrypt a 16byte portion of the V-struct with the users RID as the key.  IE
if it was the administrator's account you would use a key of 0x01f4.

I wrote a bit of code (most of it copied from Petter Nordahl-Hagen's chntpw) to convert raw SAM V-struct's to hashs but
it's extremely messy.  If you really need to get the hashes out email me offline.

Out of interest, what method did you use to obtain the V-structs in the first place?  I almost got there remotely using
MS-SQL's extended stored procedure but unfortunately it can read almost any key except for a V-struct.

Rob