Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Slightly OT, chassis alarms anyone?

From: Robert van der Meulen <rvdm () CISTRON NL>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:43:04 +0100

Hi,

Quoting Rhodes, Brian PFC--3SIG (Brian.Rhodes () HOOD ARMY MIL):
thats easy, you can just look online for a quick electronic schematic of
something that will sound off when contact is broken in the circuit,
attach one end to the metal frame, and the other to the part of the case
that comes off...make sure the contacts touch...when the contacts are
broken it will sound off an alarm or set off a light....this is a good do
it yourselfer
More expensive/modern server chassis models don't just deliver an alarm, but
are also capable of delivering a signal to the motherboard (if the board
supports it, ofcourse), to allow the OS/drivers to do something.
I can imagine i would like to unmount all my crypted disks, maybe shutdown
or lock something upon opening-of-chassis (or send me a message, so i _know_
my case has been opened).
I have a chassis with a system like this, but the mainboard doesn't support
it.
I do know we have a couple of compaq proliant (uhg) 3000 servers at the
office, and they won't boot with the side off....

Greets,
        Robert

--
                              Linux Generation
                if you remember the 60's, you weren't there.