Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Distributed Brute Crackers [Summary]

From: Yonatan Bokovza <Yonatan () XPERT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:19:44 +0200

Hi,
This is the list of distributed brute force crackers I've compiled
from all of your responses. I was surprised no one offered to hack
distributed.net client and server for these purposes.
Here are the contestants:
---
slurpie is supposed to do the job. it can be found here:
http://www.jps.net/coati/archives/slurpie.html
or at /usr/ports/security/slurpie for the BSDers among us.
---
John the ripper has nothing to do with distributing the work, but is
a fine cracker and y'all should be familiar with it.
http://www.openwall.com/john/
---
bruth has "distributed cracking" in it's "desired features".
http://bruth.sourceforge.net/
---
something called dkbf is about "Distributed, Keyboard,Brute-Force
program for Linux clusters that attacks Windows NT Lanman and NT
hashes using the Message Passing Interface (MPI)", but I found
nothing else about it.
http://dkbf.sourceforge.net/
---
PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine) seems to be a fertile ground for
distributed cracker:
http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html and
http://www.netlib.org/pvm3/book/pvm-book.html or your BSD port at
/usr/ports/net/pvm
---
All these and two that are being developed.
Best Regards,

Yonatan Bokovza
IT Security Consultant
yonatan () xpert com
Xpert Trusted Systems
PGP Fingerprint:
1A96 EE70 11BB 5241 BE42  0831 6819 BAAF B9AD EDDF