Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Slightly OT, chassis alarms anyone?

From: John Curran <John.Curran () COGNOTEC COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:18:44 -0000

Anyone have any recommendations for relatively inexpensive chassis
intrusion
alarms? I could have just done a search on google, but I'd rather hear from
people who've actually used these rather than reading a bunch of marketing
propaganda.
What I've seen in a few installations is plain old burgalar alarms with
wired contacts, purchasable from your local electronics component supplier.
They're cheap, loud and also pretty effective as a deterrant. For
integration, we hooked them up with diallers, or depending on the controller
system, we could use a serial connection and work it from there.

Recently, some manufacturers like dell have incorporated cover removal
detection into Desktop Management functionality..

Just want something to slip inside an ATX case.

If you're talking singular, and cheap'n cheerful, you may want to consider a
luggage alarm with pull-string. Attach the whole thing to the inside of the
case and fit the pull-lead to the lid or removeable portion.

This email, its contents and any files attached are intended only for the named
addressee. They contain information which may be confidential and/or legally
privileged. If you are not the named addressee or if you have received this
email in error, (a) you may not, without the consent of Cognotec, copy, use or
rely on any information or attachments in any way and (b) please notify the
sender by return email and delete it from your email system.  Unless separately
agreed, Cognotec does not accept any responsibility for the accuracy or
completeness of the contents of this email or its attachments or for any
contractual commitments contained in this email or its attachments.