Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Any countermeasure for SYN-Flood to SunScreen Firewal

From: "Carter, Adam" <adam () JAFTAN COM AU>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:18:06 +1100

Currently my team has performed a SYN-Flood attack at one
site as part of
the penetration test that running SunScreen EFS on SunOS 5.6.
We perform the
attack using TFN2K and managed to halt the server by using
only one attack
machine. (The throughtput is around 300-500k)
<snip>
Apart from using NIDS or configuring router to provide SYN-Flood
countermeasures (which is quite costly), Is there something
wrong for the
above settings or any other things that can be done at OS
level to address this problem?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the attack, but SYN flooding against the
firewall will only work if you are allowing connections to the firewall. If
you are not running VPN or smtp gateways or whatever on the firewall, then
you should deny inbound connection attempts from all hosts except the
management host(s).

IIRC SunScreen is just Checkpoint, so take a look at the implied rules, and
manipulate them via the policy properties page.

If you do need to offer services from the firewall, try using the
SYN-Defender (again in policy properties) and let us know how well it works
;-)

Adam