Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Hacking a server through SQL SERVER 7

From: "Derrick K. Bennett" <derrick () ANEI COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:37:40 -0800

When you have sa privileges to a SQL box then the game is pretty much
over. You then have access to a cmd prompt through xp_cmdshell (I
think). I don't have my SQL server in front of me but you can enable the
extended procedures and then open your query window and run commands out
through that procedure to the shell and it runs under the autority of
the SQL server which is usually admin or system. From this the options
are endless. Copy the backup erd info or setup an ftp script to download
files and run them opening a full shell for your access. Basically
anything you can do from a command prompt you can do as sa and the
options beyond that are even better. ALWAYS change the sa password
people. And honestly block SQL ports to the net unless it really is
needed.

Derrick