Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] War Dialers

From: Kurt Buff <kurtbuff () LIGHTMAIL COM>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 11:45:10 -0700

Respectfully, I suggest that you might want to expand your horizons a bit,
then.

There are now several representatives in a new class of PBX, mostly aimed at
small businesses, that feature VOIP (voice over IP), network connectivity,
PSTN connectivity, and/or other neato features. Usually they also offer
either their own embedded HTTP server, or work with one already present on
the platform, and sometimes offer their own SMTP/POP3 server, and often
offer other things, such as integration with MS Exchange or other enterprise
mail platforms.

A good starting point for your research (if you're interested...) is:

http://www.commweb.com

or

http://www.computertelephony.com/

The particular product I'm most familiar with is from Altigen:

http://www.altigen.com

It's a pretty good system, but I'd bet there are some vulnerabilities in it,
and in its competitors, also.

Cisco and 3Com offer systems, as does Sphere Communications (though I
haven't heard from them in a while), and a host of others.

As a special bonus, here's a (probably wrapped) URL for a book that looks
interesting:

http://www.telecombooks.com/scripts/store/vsc/store/products/3401.htm?L+/htd
ocs/ctstore/config/store+cgqh3365

That having been said, I don't know of any PBXs that allow you to dial in
and use the PBX itself as a gateway to the network, although I'd bet that
someone has that feature either now or RSN.

Kurt