Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Black ICE

From: Riley Hassell <riley () SPEAKEASY NET>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 12:52:13 -0700

They also have a distributed monitoring system available.
(The ICECAP Server)

It allows BlackIce Defender clients to report their logs to a larger
administrated database. The whole concept is very interesting.

Example.
*  successful connection to protected client
X  Filtered out
-> data sent

       2.) Clients recognize scan and Logs aresent to ICECAP Server

1.)       ->    * 1.1.1.1  - >    --------  3.) Icecap Server sends
Attacker  ->    * 1.1.1.1  - >   | ICECAP |     an email to admin
Initiates ->    * 1.1.1.1  - >   | SERVER |     cell phone about a
vuln scan ->    * 1.1.1.1  - >    --------      scan initiatedon
          ->    * 1.1.1.1  - >                  the network he is
          ->    X ...                           protecting.
          ->    X ...  5.) The scan doesn't
                           even reach the       4.) Admin log's into the
                           the rest of the          ICECAP server from
                           network.                 his laptop and set's
                                                    the filters up.

Note: This can also be automated. ;)

  Riley Hassell
  Network Security