Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Black ICE

From: "Teicher, Mark" <mark.teicher () NETWORKICE COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 12:09:10 -0700

If you look at a comparison price chart that was done a while back

www.img.cmpnet.com/1010/graphics/r1.pdf,  Definitely needs some revision.

/mark

At 07:44 PM 9/8/00 +0100, Talisker wrote:
Erik
> In my opinion, the tool isn't worth much, but obviously my needs differ
from
> the needs of others. As for their BlackICE Sentry, I don't see how they
> could charge about $4500 for a glorified sniffer. Anyhow, see link above
for
> more information on their entire suite of products.

In my opinion, their tools are excellent, the host located elements, whether
Defender or BlackIce Agent offer a highly capable tool for very little
money, a means of providing protecting assets against network attack behind
the gateway IDS.
BlackIce Sentry is very well priced IMHO (but don't tell the salesmen I said
that) and it is one of the top 4 Network IDS products.  Far more than a
glorified sniffer!!
However, if you are looking to save money, look at Snort as well.

Andy

http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/ infosec arsenal
                    '''
                 (0 0)
  ----oOO----(_)----------
  | The geek shall        |
  |  Inherit the earth     |
  -----------------oOO----
               |__|__|
                  || ||
              ooO Ooo

The opinions contained within this transmission are entirely my own, and do
not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

> In my opinion, the tool isn't worth much, but obviously my needs differ
from
> the needs of others. As for their BlackICE Sentry, I don't see how they
> could charge about $4500 for a glorified sniffer. Anyhow, see link above
for
> more information on their entire suite of products.
>
> Erik Tayler
> http://www.14x.net/fx
> http://www.14x.net

help () quality org