Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Black ICE

From: Talisker <Talisker () NETWORKINTRUSION CO UK>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 19:44:23 +0100

Erik
In my opinion, the tool isn't worth much, but obviously my needs differ
from
the needs of others. As for their BlackICE Sentry, I don't see how they
could charge about $4500 for a glorified sniffer. Anyhow, see link above
for
more information on their entire suite of products.

In my opinion, their tools are excellent, the host located elements, whether
Defender or BlackIce Agent offer a highly capable tool for very little
money, a means of providing protecting assets against network attack behind
the gateway IDS.
BlackIce Sentry is very well priced IMHO (but don't tell the salesmen I said
that) and it is one of the top 4 Network IDS products.  Far more than a
glorified sniffer!!
However, if you are looking to save money, look at Snort as well.

Andy

http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/ infosec arsenal
                    '''
                 (0 0)
  ----oOO----(_)----------
  | The geek shall        |
  |  Inherit the earth     |
  -----------------oOO----
               |__|__|
                  || ||
              ooO Ooo

The opinions contained within this transmission are entirely my own, and do
not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

In my opinion, the tool isn't worth much, but obviously my needs differ
from
the needs of others. As for their BlackICE Sentry, I don't see how they
could charge about $4500 for a glorified sniffer. Anyhow, see link above
for
more information on their entire suite of products.

Erik Tayler
http://www.14x.net/fx
http://www.14x.net