Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Black ICE

From: Ryan Meglathery <rmeglathery () SECURELOGIX COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 02:27:58 -0500

BlackICE (Defender) is a combination personal firewall/IDS client.
It's pretty neat.  I've been using it for about 9 months or so and I
am really pleased with its performance.  About 3 minutes after I
first intalled it it picked up someone port probing my box.  I use it
on all of my Bill (Micro$oft os) machines.  Vanilla installs don't
play well with VPN's but there are workarounds.  It's only intended
for single hosts that are on the internet not already blocked by a
firewall (i.e. dial-up, DSL, cable, satellite, etc. users).  It's
obviously not as configurable as an enterprise firewall, however,
there are security level settings (trusting, cautious, nervous,
paranoid) and you can trust (and explicitly distrust ;-) ) particular
IP addresses.  It does have some neat features such as packet logs
and evidence logs.

You can get more information (including purchasing info) at
NetworkICE's website:
http://www.networkice.com/html/blackice_defender.html

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Ryan D. Meglathery
Network Security Engineer
SecureLogix(tm) Corporation
ryan.meglathery () securelogix com
PGP Fingerprint: 1046 2F65 63CD 32B4 6611  BB8B 8697 26CA DC83 071B

This email is intended for the named recipient(s) only and may
contain information that is privileged and/or confidential. Nothing
in this email is intended to constitute a waiver of any privilege or
the confidentiality of this message. If you have received this email
in error, please notify me immediately by reply and delete this
message.