Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] PBX Security-norstar systems

From: jason <nonsequiter19 () HOTMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:04:17 GMT

the DR5 is still in service and quite common, but no longer current.
nortel's current phone systems are the Compact ICS and Modular ICS. they
have remote admin, and there is a win 95/NT admin program available called
'Norstar PC Console Attendant', which directly mimics the functions of the
model 7310 telephone.
most companies dont bother to change the default password.

I've only audited Meridian systems... but from my experience... you can get
some pretty good information to start with.

This is how I got the info I did:

1) Got installation manuals for the whole system.
2) Got copies of The system Coordinator Guides.  For a Meridian Norstar
PBX,
These Books are called "Norstar Modular DR5 System Coordinator Guide",
"Norstar Modular DR5 Installer Guide", and I got the Installation Guide for
the voice-Mail system (which happened to be StarTalk Flash).  I know I've
seen a DR5.1 of these same manuals...

I then called up a company that installs the systems, and acted like I was
interested.  Yes, this is social engineering a third party, but it was
necessary for what I was doing.  I asked to talk specifically to one of
their installation and troubleshooting engineers because "one of my guys
had
some really technical questions".  I took him out to lunch, drank some
beer,
and in the end, I got him to give me photocopies of some "undocumented"
feature codes, including one which can reset the administrator PIN.

I learned the default passwords for the PBX, and a whole ton of feature
codes just from reading the manuals.  With all the resources I got, any
meridian norstar PBX is 100% open to me.

It's unfair to use a known back-door when pen-testing.  The back-door on
Norstar is pretty hard to stumble across, but it is nice to know the
default
passcodes, and test for things like that.  Good luck!