Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Datacenter Wiring

From: Charlie Rhodes <Charlie () SAC NET>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:35:58 -0700

Most well installed exposed cable is bundled pretty tightly so I'd like to
hear suggestions about how one would isolate a particular run once you
were away from a specific office space, where you could trace it back to
the host.  Most of the labeling I've seen is only near the ends of the
runs.

    It depends on the wire used.  Belden Datatwist (1583A), for example, uses
7 digit numbers to mark feet.  They're even labeled with "feet".  Once you
find a well marked end, you can find the foot reading.  It would be easy to
estimate how far away you are from the end (50ft, 100ft, etc) and then search
the bundle for numbers in the +/- footage range.  This should at least bring
your choice down to 2 or 3 wires that could be the one you want.  If you have
access to both ends, you should be able to find that one wire anywhere along
the bundle.