PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations for a Linux tool-writing approach?

From: Jamil Ben Alluch <jamil () autronix com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 07:16:42 -0500

Hello Glen,

I think your situation is more about improving programming skills rather
than linux skills in the context you are offering; the only real difference
between a C/C++/Java and Perl/Python/Ruby is that the former are compiled
and the latter (scripts) are interpreted. The development approach will be
the same in both cases; in fact some scripts can become really complex -
Metasploit is a good example (written in Ruby with some C extensions).

On the Linux side, what you'll be looking at when doing the development of
your scripts are more of system calls and run/parse commands and their
outputs. I would try getting familiar with those and the general structure
of how Unix systems run.

As far as the languages are concerned, shell script while quite powerful is
limited in comparison with Perl/Python/Ruby. As far as choosing one, it's
more of a matter of preference on the developer's part, as they each have
their on particularities, but the same results can be achieved with any of
those. Perl and Python are a somewhat similar, while Ruby is a bit of a
different approach to the language from traditional programming. If you've
never done programming, I'd give Ruby a try.

For UIs I would direct you to either Ruby or Python and use a web app
approach (Ruby on Rails or Django). I am personally not a fan of native UI
applications, so I'd rather do web applications, however, they both have
extensions allowing you to develop in Qt or Tk for graphical interfaces.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

ᐧ

--