PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: DNS Query capture and analysis

From: "Liam Randall" <Liam.Randall () gigaco com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:08:57 -0400

<pro_bro>

Bro will make a nice DNS log, although if you are monitoring at the border you are going to see your recursive DNS
logs.  Our intel framework will test both IP & domain on dns requests and replies.

We’ve also got some DGA’s implemented in Bro so you can test for them dynamically:

https://github.com/sethhall/bro-domain-generation

Bro will also do dynamic protocol detection so you can just search your logs like this to get a count of all dns
detected by host/port pair:

zcat */dns.* | bro-cut id.resp_h id.resp_p | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

count / server / port

  49250 8.8.8.8 53

  66291 ff02::1:3       5355

  77375 224.0.0.252     5355

142954 129.121.254.2   53

188652 192.168.3.255   137

334508 192.168.7.255   137

1087534 129.121.254.1   53

Bro-cut is our log parsing tool; you can grep, sed, & awk your way through the logs.

</pro_bro>

Disclosure: I am on the bro team (because I love it)

There are a lot of BlackHole/dns sinkhole files floating around you can use, such as:

http://www.malwaredomains.com/?page_id=66