PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Vaguely Security Related: Telecommuter Advice

From: Kevin Shaw <kevin.lee.shaw () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:57:00 -0400

Sorry, Tom not Paul..
On Mar 11, 2012 9:48 PM, "Tom Handlon" <thandlon () gmail com> wrote:

I found that for the company I currently work for, telecommuting is
not an option although others still do it.  There is a serious
perception that those that work from home are basically on vacation,
taking advantage while doing nothing.  Although I ended up working
around the clock, always on, always working - this was seen as "laying
around in my pajamas".  It was miserable because I was killing myself
yet it was unseen by many no matter what was accomplished.  -Not by
all management, least of all my direct report, but enough to realize
it wasn't a smart career move.  I pushed for office space and got it
so now I get less done in a longer period of time, but at least I am
seen "at my desk".

I know firsthand that some in management look upon those that get in
before 8 as superstars regardless of the what they actually
contribute.

It really depends on the company and the people at the company.   It
is all about perception and the episode of Seinfeld where George
leaves his car at work and gains a ton of respect rings true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwSxqnRW-8