PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Vaguely Security Related: Telecommuter Advice

From: Kevin Shaw <kevin.lee.shaw () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:39:57 -0500

I've been working at home or in my home office (when I was able to get
space) for eight of the last 13 years since 1999, starting on my couch
before I got a desk at Wal-Mart, pictured here, for a couple hundred bucks
- and look how it has held up even after a move.. Yeah there has been
driving to DC and NoVA or crazy travel schedules but having a home base
that is a home base and has evolved over the years, has made me very
productive.  I stay productive by making sure my boss tasks me, and by
every few days letting them know what I'm up to - being senior helps
because he's not breathing down my neck all the time.  Going to a site or
two, and HQ occasionally, keeps me social with them and makes sure I'm not
out of sight out of mind. A plan, todo list, or set of tasks helps.
Sometimes I initiate the call and make the near and long term plans.. gets
me brownie points. IBMers will tell you not to have a desk at all;
sometimes I occupy my living room but the office is better.

Sometimes I feel isolated at home.  Sometimes that isolation is conducive
to what I'm doing - I would be aggravated if I were disturbed. Those gopher
heads only happen when the kids are home so I should be taking a break
anyway..

Skype. Text messaging. They rock, and aren't two or more hours on the
phone.  Even a voice only Skype is often less time than someone will take
on your phone. I love video conferencing. Love it.

I put the  kids on the school bus, get regular clothes on, and work. I will
leave the house a couple days a week for lunch, with family or pastor, if
I'm home all week and especially if I work nights.  I'm active with church
and community and non work items to socialize.

Work separation can be hard since I like to read tech articles and these
mailing lists and talk with people in this field online; but that clothes
change thing? Yeah that helps.  And I play.. Soccer and XBox and stuff with
my kids.

As an infosec telecommuter, walk the talk. Use secure communications where
you can, encrypt data, etc. Don't press the easy button! Also, use the tech
support from your company or vendor, don't always try to figure it on your
own.. even if it is only to bounce ideas off of them.  Yeah I have 15 years
on some of them at times but it is good when they've had the same issue
with other employees you just saved yourself a couple hours - to  play! -
and other times it is a learning experience for them, also a chance for
them to connect with someone who respects them and understands them.

I'm considerably more productive at home than in a regular office setting
or in meetings, etc. mostly because I have control over the environment,
maybe because of mild Asperger's.