PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Vaguely Security Related: Telecommuter Advice

From: "S. R. White" <swprofile () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:32:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi Adrian,

I have two separate desks, one for personal, one for work only.  There is a strict separation where no work papers or
other things are ever mixed with personal in the same space.  I have my desk in the same room unlike many folks, but
have even taken the effort in the last year to move my work desk away from the window, so It now faces a blank wall.  I
have two separate desk chairs.  I have meaningful work related items on the wall such as phone list, org chart,
calendar, etc.  Getting up and fully dressed for the day with shoes on and everything helps me get focused.  If you
wear sweat pants and a tshirt, it might be tempting to crash on the couch with your laptop.  No TV in the office, video
conference as much as possible.  Be sure to take a lunch break, as I find it easy to work right through lunch,
especially if working on a pen test or something else "fun".  Segment work computers from home computers...My employer
doesn't allow personal
 devices on the corporate network, so the same should hold true at home, so personal devices can't see your work
devices that likely VPN in...I also keep separate filing cabinets like others have mentioned.  I also have my infosec
books on a bookshelf near my work desk for reference, and all personal books in a different location.  Having bright
lights also helps me, as a dimly lit work area sometimes makes me sleepy, or not be focused.  At the same time, I have
a wooden chair from my kitchen table, and using it versus a padded desk chair now and then gives me a good upright
posture while working, and seems to keep me better focused and on task.  It seems like lots of little things here and
there, but lighting, chairs, and "separation of duties" has been what has worked for me.

Scott