PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: CD Encryption Question

From: rdsears () mtu edu
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 00:30:04 -0400 (EDT)

Wow sorry about that guys, slip of the finger :(

Either way I was going to say basically what you're looking for is an all-inclusive encryption solution that runs from
cd (I assume for windows), right? What you can do is create an encrypted container file in Truecrypt, fill it with
whatever you need, then send them a CD with that blob and the portable version of Truecrypt (if memory serves they have
one). Then you could wrap it in a batch file if you want to make it really easy for them. If you need more details how
to do this just ask (or google it).

Of course if they're on *nix I recommend PGP, as it has very easy symmetric encryption so you don't have to worry about
a key infrastructure at all (sans a passphrase of course).

As for encryption, I'd recommend sticking with the standard tools out there (truecrypt, PGP, etc) as they typically
have a lot more eyes on them (and thus potential to discover weaknesses in them). With a 3rd-party, closed source
software you never really know. Especially if they don't specify a cipher that's been mathematically proven strong. For
all you know they're just ROT-13'ing your data :-P

Hope it helps!
Ryan