PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: local windows accounts

From: Brian Erdelyi <brian_erdelyi () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 16:28:57 -0300

It's likely because the user wants to install their own apps and they need local admin privileges.  Confirm exactly
what the user is trying to do.

As for risks...
1.  Malicious software.  Whatever permissions a user has so does malicious software.
2.  Change management.  If you have standard desktops and configurations this means the desktop will be much more
difficult to support and maintain.
3,  Unauthorized software.

I think DHS or NSA recently released a guide on security for home users.  It actually covers this issue of having local
admin.  You can also google concept of "least privilege" for best practices.  Even Microsoft's guide for home users
recommends a non-admin account day-to-day use.

.b