PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Security: Public vs. Private

From: Benjamin Floyd <ben.floyd () improvingenterprises com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 11:48:37 -0400

I have worked in both public and private sectors as well and also cannot clarify much on the general question which was
asked. I would suggest taking a look at statistics on money spent on security initiatives and compare that to actual
security implementations and understanding of security. In that regard, the public sector as a whole is behind the
curve, even with the advances made in the DoD, NSA, etc. While there is a lot of policy regarding security in places
like state government and higher ed, there is not a whole lot of understanding or review of those policies at the
bottom tiers of the organizations.

On the other hand, the private sector has an even greater difference in this area. They are not required to invest in
security unless they are facing mandated policies such as HIPAA, SoX, or PCI. Thus, most of the time I've seen large
companies fall into the same practices as the public sector organizations - lots of policies with little understanding
or implementation of the policies at the bottom levels.  Typically when I've been brought into a private sector
organization as a security consultant, it's after a breach, after the forensics and law enforcement (I'm not a forensic
analyst), and after a whole lot of money went down the tube. Another issue to consider is that the majority of small
businesses (< 10 employees) are not as well connected as some of the medium to large organizations. Thus, they have
fewer attack surfaces and you could consider them to be more secure because of that. As they grow, they don't tend to
spend the newly earned profits on security and a lot
 of holes open up in that transition.

So, at a high level, government has a more secure "look" if you examine policies, but a less secure environment which
does not conform to the policies. Private sector has fewer policies, but the potential for a more secure environment
because of the agility and money they have to invest in security implementation without policy establishment.

You can take it from there as to whether adherence to policy is more secure than implementation without guidance.

Ben Floyd
Senior Consultant, Improving Enterprises, Inc.
ben.floyd () improvingenterprises com<mailto:ben.floyd () improvingenterprises com>