PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Security: Public vs. Private

From: "Chesmore, Michael [DAS]" <Michael.Chesmore () iowa gov>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 12:58:35 -0500

Having some experience in both I can answer part of this.  Unfortunately my answer will not clarify anything.  You
cannot simply say public vs private.  It has been my experience that parts of the public sector I.E. DoD, and NSA are
WELL ahead of the curve.  Coming from DoD most recently they are very on top of their game.  The Federal Government and
State Government, are WELL behind the power curve.  County governments and city municipalities that I have encountered,
were ran over by the power curve.

Private sector is light years ahead of most (most but not all).  But from what I have witnessed it is not that they are
so much techie smarter, they are much, much process smarter.  There are smart techies a plenty, but unfortunately the
bureaucracy and workday ends at 4:30 mentality of public sector is killing them.

Just my thoughts
Mike