PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Situational Awareness

From: Adrien de Beaupre <adriendb () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 19:00:11 -0400

Hi Bruce,

the talk was based on the following references:
ISO17799:2005 Code of Practice for Information Security Management
ISO18044 Information Security Incident Management
ISO20000-2 Information Technology - Service Management Part 2
SANS Computer Security Incident Handling Guide
RFC2350 Expectations for Computer Security Incident Response
NIST SP800-61 Computer Security Incident Handling Guide
NIST SP800-53 Recommended Security Controls for Federal Information Systems
NIST SP800-3 Establish and Incident Response Capability
CERT-CC CMU/SEI-98-HB-001 Handbook for Computer Security Incident Response Teams
COBIT 4.0
... others as required (PCI-DSS, SoX, HIPPA, ...)

Talk all of the relevant controls or requirements, matrix, and prioritize them.

Best advice I ever heard with regards to situational awareness:
get all of the information you can, triage and evaluate as much as possible,
and pay attention.

Cheers,
Adrien